Tuesday, March 19, 2013

March 19th 2013




My name is Kathy Cholette and I am one of Interns placed here on Wednesdays this semester in your child’s class. One of my many responsibilities is to interact and work in groups by providing children opportunities to enhance their knowledge in many areas of learning. After watching children explore the sand table I wondered if children could explore water movement in the same manner. I have planned my group times allowing children to explore water and enhance their thinking about how water flows. We began our investigation by using colored tubes and water.  After watching and listening to the children I learned they already had some concept on water movement.


Some of the children’s “Big Ideas” were that they needed bigger tubes, “maybe if we had bigger tubes we could see the water inside”. Would larger tubes answer our big question?  The children were able to get more water in them, but they still were not able to see the water inside the tubes. I needed to provide a visual to the children to enhance what they already knew about water, but how? I discussed many options with the children and they decided that maybe clear tubes would support this goal. In order to do this we dyed the water red and used clear tubing and funnels to explore with.  The children were able to see the colored water go into the tubes and watch as it came down. The visual effect was now provided for but did they learn something new? It was even more apparent that all we did was create a different mean for the same result.  In the end after exploring the children were able to confirm that water flows down.


The children were excited to learn about how water flows and moves during this process. In the weeks to come I want to create ways for children to learn that water flow and movement does move up. In order for the children to learn this I will be providing some hands on activities through capillary exploring, a physical process by which a liquid spreads or shrinks when it comes in contact with a particular solid surface.  Some of the materials will be coffee filters, flowers and celery.  I hope to teach that water flow and movement can go in many directions.