Tuesday, September 25, 2012

September 25th 2012


"It’s me!"


Today we started the discussion of self-portraits.  I wanted the children to look at themselves closely and maybe even in a new light.  To start the process, I spoke to everyone at group time.  I brought with me a mirror, a marker, and paper.  I asked the children to look in the mirror and tell me what they saw.  “The kids!  It’s us!”  I then asked the children to start thinking about their faces.  What does a face have?  Our favorite thing to talk about was our mouths and eyes.  The subject of eye color has come up before, and it did again today.  Surprisingly most children knew what color eyes they had. 


From there I worked with one or two children at a time.  We repeated the process with them drawing this time.




The added element of the mirror really helped the children focus on the parts of the face.  One of our favorite things to do was watch how the parts of our faces moved.  This made drawing difficult sometimes, as there are many ways to draw a mouth (open, closed, smile, squished lips, flat lips, etc) but we managed.  I am hoping to use some of these products to discuss at a later time as a whole group.