Monday, April 1, 2013

April 1st 2013


Hello! I have introduced myself to most of you, but for those who I may have missed I am Ms. Blevins. I am one of the interns working with your child on Fridays this semester in Ms. Kurtjian’s classroom. From the first day of working with the children I became the “dramatic play” lady. The children were drawn to me in this aspect and I began to notice a definite interest in this area.
Our investigation into dramatic play started with an exploration of a veterinarian prop-box. The children enjoyed using all of the materials on their animals. I noticed however that the children were focused more on the items in the prop box than in the dramatic play and the social interaction with their peers that I had hoped to increase. I did however notice that there were more social interactions when the children took the animals over to the stage area. They were pretending to play with the animals, even making a home for them out of some boxes that had been previously brought into the classroom.  


For the next lesson, I decided to bring back the animals. This time however I brought in items needed to take care of the animals. The children really enjoyed feeding their pet, taking them to the vet, and the most favorite taking their pet for a walk. This is where I noticed a common interest from the last lesson repeating itself in this one. The children had 2 leashes. When they were being used, the children wanted to come up with other things that could be used to make a leash. They used various scarves and dress up clothes for their leashes. Some of the children used large foam blocks to create cages and houses for their pets. The children then started to use the dress up clothes and their play evolved. They were pretending to go to the beach so they needed their swim suits.  
For my next lesson with dramatic play I wanted to see how having a variety of items to choose from would promote the children's imagination. The children really enjoyed rummaging through the tub of clothes. “I'm Strawberry Shortcake” and “I'm a princess” were some of the words said. I discovered that the children were very passionate about having just the right pieces for their costumes. The children continued to look for just the right items all the way until clean up time. This encouraged my next lesson. I will be researching with the children their favorite things to pretend and what they may need to portray that role.  I am excited to see where this investigation goes in the weeks to come!



Dramatic play increases a child’s social skills, language development, perspective taking skills and their imagination! These skills can also be built at home. I welcome you to spend some time with dramatic play with your child at home!                                       ~Ms. Blevins